28 June 2013

Why indeed? And a revelation about Guardian

This is really priceless. A Guardian hack bemoans and decries the young of Britain what seek real work, instead of opting for the readily available state welfare. Here is the last part of that piece:

There, I met a 27-year-old man who had just managed to re-enter the world of work, though the only thing he could find was a temporary contract delivering sofas. Around us were shelves peppered with self-help books; the people in charge assured me that even if work seemed thin on the ground, the people they supervised could always look for "hidden jobs". So I wondered: did he think that the fact he was unemployed was his fault?
His reply was just this side of heartbreaking. "Yeah," he said. "I do. I think I should have applied for more. I should have picked myself up in the morning, got out, come to a place like this – tried more. When you're feeling down, you start blaming the world for your mistakes – you feel the world owes you. And it doesn't. You owe the world: you have to motivate yourself, and get out there, and try."
There it was again: the up-by-the-bootstraps Conservatism of Norman Tebbit and Margaret Thatcher, largely unchallenged during the New Labour years, and now built into millions of young lives as a simple matter of fact. Oh, Generation Y. Why?
Heartbreaking? You tell me.

And now about the revelation. It so happened (tell me more about coincidences) that yesterday, when I've opened the Android Google Play (well, if you aren't an iPerson, you sure know what it is), one of the ads for Android applications that I found there was the following:

I have always thought that there are a lot of clowns in that outfit, but now it appears that all this time they were simply trying to compete with The Onion. Who would have suspected?

Only - they are too mediocre to succeed in that domain too.

Hat Tip: Andrew Ian Dodge.

3 comments:

SnoopyTheGoon said...

The Leftists like people to be on welfare, because that way they're so much easier to control.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Yep.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

It's definitely convenient.