I have recently wondered about Andrew Sullivan (Biased and Balanced) being so strict with the Zionist State about its wavering loyalty to Washington. Apologies for quoting myself, but this is what I've written in the conclusion to that post: "I consider Sullivan to be many things, but stupid is not one of them."
The latest diatribe by Mr Sullivan, nailing Israel to the wall of shame (again) for its insufficient support of US position on Russian shenanigans in Ukraine, however, provides a good reason to review that conclusion. The argumentation and tone of that screech are very similar to that previous case:
I cannot think of an alliance quite this perverse: the US gives Israel vital protection at the UN, vast amounts of intelligence and military assistance, $3 billion a year in aid and in return is opposed in most of its foreign policy initiatives, and its officials routinely slimed and attacked by members of the Israeli government. Name any other “ally” that behaves this way.Notice the Goebbelsian love of hype in the above quote: "opposed" for sitting on the fence and "routinely slimed and attacked" for whatever this or another unruly Israeli minister said about this or another act or decision by an American VIP.
I could easily fisk the quote, but there is practically no need. Because (exactly as in that previous case), Andrew Sullivan fisks himself better, and, surprisingly (or not?), during that same day, April 14. In that other article titled Why Do So Many Germans Support Putin? he (while not voicing his august opinion on that support - I wonder why?) quite sympathetically quotes some German reader who explains why it is so. I just have to copy the main bullets from that explanation:
- They [Germans] want Germany to do politics purely based in Germany’s and not in John McCain’s or Victoria “Fuck the EU” Nuland’s (and all the other Western clowns handing out cookies on Maidan square).
- They [Germans] don’t understand what on earth the Ukraine has to do with the EU at a time that the EU is in deep crisis. Who are these incompetent politicians engaging in these terribly shortsighted idealistic adventures and who authorized them to act in such way in our name?
- They [Germans] see the hypocrisy of the West when for example John Kerry says “in the 21st Century you cannot simply invade another country on trumped up charges.” Hello?
When Germans, quite unreservedly, diss US of A on the same subject, this is somehow acceptable to Sullivan.
Of course, the humongous amounts of money spent by US yearly on direct military presence in Europe (chiefly in Germany, it so happens), the nuclear umbrella US provides to Europe practically gratis, etc dwarf the military and financial assistance provided to Israel hundreds of times. Shouldn't Sullivan address a similar diatribe (only worded proportionally stronger, due to the overwhelming monetary and other values of US support to Germany) to the European partner?
Since he doesn't, I have only two possible options:
- Review the statement about Andrew Sullivan not being stupid or
- Conclude that anything related to the Zionist entity automatically deprives the said Andrew Sullivan of any common sense, logic or, indeed, the famous British fairness
You tell me.