26 December 2009

Abdul Mudallad and a new genus of Nigerian scam

The following text that arrived the usual way into our In box today may have a lot to do with the latest unpleasantness that occurred during that Northwest flight from Amsterdam. We are publishing only an excerpt of the whole letter.

My dear friend,

Good day and compliments. This letter will definitely come to you as a huge surprise, but I implore you to take the time to go through it carefully as the decision you make will go off a long way to determine the future of many people.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is [omitted for clarity], I am the executor of the real estate of my brother, [omitted for clarity], untimely deceased the last winter as a result of an especially vicious attack of gout*.

The present democratic government is determined to portray all the good work of my late brother in a bad light and have gone as far as confiscating all his properties, freezing our accounts both within and outside Nigeria.

However, only the closest relatives, myself included, know about my brother's penchant for pyrotechnics. Indeed so strong was his attachment to this hobby that he secretly owned a factory producing fireworks.

Since the government agents are following our every move, we felt the need to call upon you as a reliable friend who will help us in profitably disposing of the huge stash of fireworks that has accumulated at the factory.

...

(*) The text at this point was unclear, it could have been "goat".

0 comments: